Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sugar!!

So, I seriously believe I am addicted to sugar. I purposely don't buy sugary things, because I end up craving it every single day. It's not the "good" sugar that I crave either.. it's the bad - candy, cookies, brownies - kind of sugar. And I try to ignore it, but it literally becomes annoying to ignore. It's like nagging me at the back of my mind that I have to have it. So, I'll find myself looking to see what I have in the pantry and luckily I rarely have anything on hand - it's usually mixes that I'm too lazy to make. Haha. But the annoying, nagging tendency to eat sugar is real for me. I think a lot of people have this.. at least that's what I've noticed (or maybe it's wishful thinking in hopes that I'm not alone :) ). My 2 biggest weaknesses are ice cream and chocolate chip cookies, so those are rare things that we keep in our house - I don't even like to have chocolate chips on hand because I'll probably end up making chocolate chip cookies. Does anyone have suggestions of how I can deal with this?? Help!! :D

4 comments:

Jes said...

Bananas! Applesauce, and hot chocolate. Raspberry tea is amazing, too. I just supply my sweet tooth with a more healthy option. :)

Mommy Named Meg said...

I wish I had a solution but I'm even worse. If I don't have stuff like that on hand I'll make it from scratch. It might help you don't enjoy cooking an baking like I do, but for me it's like endulging to addictions.

Stephs Story said...

I use to be totally addicted to sugar; I mean I serious had to have it everyday and if I didn't I would go on a sugar frenzie looking for anything I could possibly find that tasted like sugar but now I don't have that problem! So what changed? The food didn't change and no I didn't go on a frezie clearing my cupboards of all the sugar out of the house but rather than having no sugar, I chose different options-fruit is always good, but I have found that Yoplait Light Yogurt and Extra gum have been by biggest friends! The great news is that Yoplait has flavors like banana cream pie, red velvet cake and black forest cake which are yummy! Extra gum now has flavors like key lime pie and my favorite: strawberry shortcake that take great but don't bring the calories! I also try to avoid buying those desserts that I know I will eat a lot more easier than others-out of sight out of mind is a true statement. The most important thing is to allow yourself to have sugary foods every once in awhile like holidays or special occasions (it's ok to have sugar every once in awhile) otherwise you'll crave what you told your body to not have. So have that piece of cake or cookies or whatever your sweet tooth loves :) Once I followed these simple steps, my sugary addiction went away and I feel better than ever (*when I do overeat sugary foods, it doesn't have the same appeal) You can do it! You are in control of what you eat! Good luck!

carrielyshous said...

I heard somewhere that if you eat a lot of fruit(3 servings a day?), your sugar cravings will be gone. I haven't done it myself... but if you try it, let me know how it goes!