Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Baby Food Grinders

Lydia is really starting to eat anything we give her (except for the obvious peanut butter, honey, etc.), which is so convenient when it comes to eating meals together. We don't have a baby food grinder, and it's so difficult smashing the food up small enough with my fork. I've thought about using my blender.. but that's too difficult to clean as often we I'd use it. So, I've done some research. Option #1

http://www.target.com/Black-Decker-1-Touch-Chopper/dp/B000NJBYWG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=food%20processor&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-2&qid=1285088328&rh=&searchRank=price&id=Black%20Decker%201-Touch%20Chopper&node=1038576|1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

Option #2

http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Baby-Food-Grinder-Colors/dp/B000GB0NZA

I'm currently leaning towards the food processor. I could use it for more than just baby food and it seems like it'd be easier to clean. The disadvantage is that it wouldn't be convenient to take with my anywhere like the handheld grinder. Do any of you have experience with using either of these? I need input. Thanks!

6 comments:

Kristie said...

I have the black and decker one and I love it! Cindy and Ryan gave it to us for our wedding (I think :) I have used it for baby food and it is perfect size for baby food and it is not really hard to clean. It only fits like a cup and a half of food in it at a time, but I only make that much when I make some and then freeze it. I haven't used it yet for just our table food, but I will soon and I will let you know how it goes! Good Luck!

Chelsea said...

I never had a baby food grinder, though that looks easy to clean and small enough to take with you. I have a small food processor that I use for things like garlic and onions, though, and I think it's fabulous. I wish I could help you out more!

PKYoung said...

The baby one looks cuter, but as far as function I'd go with the B&D. I have a Cuisinart one (very similar) and I love it, can use it for anything! I haven't had to mash up baby food yet but for everything I have had to smash it's done great.

Lisa Hathaway said...

I really don't have any personal experience, but here are my thoughts ...

Well, you're right that you'd use the food processor more (maybe - but you don't have one now and you survive) but think about storing it. (This is my current debate about buying a food processor...) I've been trying to track all the times I think "If only I had a food processor" to decide if it's worth getting one.

We had a baby food grinder just like that when I was growing up. My mom used it for at least half her kids and it's so handy. Then my sisters-in-law use it for my nieces and nephews when they come. Obviously long-lasting. I think they're fabulous because you can take them anywhere - out to eat, to grandma's, etc. You don't worry about finding a plug, lugging the thing around ... I'm a fan.

Derek and Kori said...

thanks for all the in put guys! I did end up getting the food processor, and i love it. it's sooo easy to chop up anything. i just steamed some pears and chopped in the processor and froze it in ice cube trays for lydia. it was sooo easy. Lisa, you're absolutely right about the other grinder. It would really come in handy for when we're not at home. They are only $10 so maybe we'll get one too.. we'll see. Thanks again guys!

Mommy Named Meg said...

Darn I see my comments are too late as you have already made your decision... I'm going to add them anyway though.

I used a magic bullet for my baby food needs. It worked SO well and I can use it for other things as well. It's like a blender, but easier. All the parts twist off and with the exception of the base (which doesn't really get messy) you can put them all in the dishwasher!!! So easy!