Saturday, August 22, 2009

Fun on the Farm


So, I have promised this post for some time now. And two days before we depart.. here it is! The pictures will consist of our cottage, our garden, Barkley (the dog hehe), and various projects Derek has done on the farm this summer (most of which are cement, cement, and more cement).

The Cottage

Here's me in the kitchen.. makin somethin..


Our bedroom.. so that's all the pics we took. haha I thought we took more oops. Our house is in disarray from the move.. so I'll take a few more right before we head out.



The Garden

This is a picture of our garden at the beginning of July, I think



This is a picture of it now!



We planted this grass here in June and now it looks great


We planted this grass in July and it doesn't look great. haha. If you look closely you can see patches of grass on the left side

Barkley



This is Barkley aka Brown, Dog, Barkles, etc. He LOVES Derek. He follows him everywhere.. it's so cute. We took a ridiculous number of pictures and videos of him this summer.. probably preparing us for the adorable things our little baby will do and all the pictures we will take.
I have unsuccessfully tried to download a couple videos of him. Maybe my internet is too slow. I'll try again later :)

Various Projects



Here's the rest of his parent's sidewalk that they poured. The first half was done last summer.



This was poured last summer (sorry it's blurry)



Derek has been working on this the whole week (and it was HOT outside), and it's finally ready for concrete! So this pad is going to be used to put huge containers full of chemicals (weed killers and such) on.



These are the huge, chemical-filled containers.

If ever those containers should burst or crack open, the chemicals would flow into this pit. Preventing them from seeping into the ground and hopefully salvaging what they can. Brilliant idea I think. Hopefully, the containers will never break open and they will never need this, but brilliant for "just in case."



The floor of this shed was their first cement project of the summer. It took them about a month to complete. This is where they park their semis, combines, and whatever else will fit when it's not being used for long periods of time. The floor used to just be dust. Funny story about this shed. When Derek and I were first dating he came back to the farm during an extended weekend from school to help out on a project. He told me his dad, brothers, and himself were building a shed. I thought, "cute. a little shed for lawn mowers and such." I pictured a little wooden building and a group of men hammering away. I did NOT picture a massive building that would require cranes to complete. But when Derek brought me here to meet the folks he pointed out his shed. I laughed out loud. :) It still makes me laugh to remember how nonchalant he was about having built this shed over his break.

This was another cement project. I don' t know what these tall bins on stilts are called or what their exact purpose is, but they are amongst the grain bins, and I'm sure have something to do with sorting the wheat.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the pink table. I call it pink because that's what it used to be. We should have taken a before picture, but we never did. :( The table used to be chipped, faded, and light pink. Derek has stripped the paint, sanded it (that alone took all summer), and stained it. Isn't it pretty?! He did a great job! I think it turned out great! If we find a picture with this table in it from its pink days we will post it.




4 comments:

Chelsea said...

Your garden looks fabulous, as does the pink table. It wasn't even just pink. It was like a dull Pepto pink. It sorta made me shudder... But now it's like a piece of furniture that you actually want people to see!

Crystal/Scott/Charlie/John said...

It's fun to see all the projects you guys have been working on! I laughed at the shed story. That's probably what I would have thought too, "oh cute, a little shed." :)

carrielyshous said...

I think pink cabinets are a requirement for cottages- I had some in mine too :D It looks like you two had a great summer!

Katie Adams {Blog} said...

Hey Derek & Kori...I am so excited to see your blog! We are so sad to see you guys are gone! I wanted to tell you the address to our blog in case you want to check it out! It is www.kadamssquared.blogspot.com. Good luck at school! P.S. Congrats on the baby...we had no idea! How exciting!!